Thursday, April 4, 2013

MANE-ly Speaking - ARI LENNOX

Hey Lovelies! So excited to bring you this mash up of MANE-ly Speaking & Artiste Spotlight
Never been done before!
I'm pleased as punch that I got to interview the talented Ari Lennox
I came across her on YouTube and was blown away by her aura and her hair!!
Her curly fro is sickkkk as is her voice. Enough of the intro.
Get into it.







Who are you?
I'm Ari Lennox, a soulful R&B eclectic singer and baby actress kind of lol....

3 words you would use to describe yourself.
Anxious, Wild and Talented 



When did you start singing?
I started seriously singing in 2009, but the first time I opened my mouth to sing was around the age of 3. My Grandma said I sounded like an angel, but most 3 year olds do lol. It's so inspiring how I've progressed since then. My Grandma must have super powers. 



Why did you go natural?
Honestly I had a horrible perm in middle school, and this beautician cut my hair off. Ever since then I never permed my hair. I've done 3 big chops since middle school. Discovering what works with my hair and what doesn't. I've learned not to dye my hair because it can be just as damaging as a perm, and I've learned that even though I'm natural it doesn't mean my ends won't split. So I'm welcoming water among many other natural products and currently growing my hair and using 'La Jay' as a protective hairstyle. 

Was it difficult or easy to go natural?
It's difficult, but I have to admit it's very invigorating and easy to style. I thought I had to resort to heat everyday when I was rocking a perm, but with my natural hair I can do two strand twist or pin up the sides or rock my baby bush or cornroll it and throw on 'La Jay' lol 



4 words to describe your mane.
Diana, Shady, Kinky, Free

Tell us a little about your regimen.
Every day I moisturize my hair with water and coconut oil. Afterwards I seal my ends with Castor Oil. Once a week I'm washing my hair with Beautiful Textures Tangle Taming Shampoo and Tresumme Silicone Free Naturals Conditioner. 

What have you learned on your natural hair journey?
I've learned to run from perms, dye and any type of toxic hair treatment. I keep it moisturized because our hair is like a plant it will not grow without water. I've learned the importance of trimming (yearly) and wrapping my hair up EVERY night. Oh and no ponytails ever lol... they kill my ends.



Which artistes are your inspirations? Which ones would you love to collab with?
Tyler The Creator is my biggest and most current inspiration, he's mad free and talented. He has inspired to embrace all the things that make me different. I won't make it in this industry trying to twerk it better than Beyonce, i will fail lol. So I've just learning to be Ari Lennox to the fullest. Aretha Franklin, Minnie Riperton, Marvin Gaye, Lauryn Hill, Tina Turner, Jean Michel Basuiat and The Beatles inspire me to challenge myself lyrically and mentally. I would love to collaborate with Common, Kid Cudi, Kendrick Lamar, Lianne La Havas and Phony Ppl. 

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I see myself married to some basketball player and retiring from music. Sike ha, but um seriously I could never quit my greatest passion, I think my music is why I'm alive!! I see myself well traveled, with some steady acting gigs and maybe a couple of music awards. Touring multiple cities and meeting beautiful people of all colors and backgrounds and cultures. I see myself encouraging someone to stay alive and to exercise their ambition!



CHECK OUT THE VISUAL FOR HER SINGLE "LA LA LA LA"

1 comment:

  1. I love her. Glad she's getting some recognition for her talent.

    ReplyDelete