Friday, April 13, 2012

Candidly Speaking

I had the pleasure of getting this lovely young lady of the blog African Creature to speak CANDIDly with me
I hope you alll Enjoy =)



Tell us a little about yourself.
Well my name is Susy "African Creature" Oludele. I'm Nigerian (Yoruba to be exact). I'm a 21year old hairstylist based in Harlem. I do everything but hairstyling is my first job. I own a vintage website called susyscloset.com and I just released an intro to my hair portfolio which is www.susyshairshow.com . I am a  down to earth person, funny and very nice.  



When & why did you decide to start blogging?
I decided to start blogging because i was actually bored lol! Then it started turning into a meaning. 

How has your blog affected you?
Wow well it all started with the name of my blog. I found my alter ego with my blog and I love it. African creature is a term used on how I grew up, rough child hood, people used to call my a lot of names and I used African Creature that was negative into something positive. People admire it and that inspires me to do more.



What do you hope to achieve with your blog?
I hope to change lives, inspire people to do more and so forth.

So let's talk about hair.. are you natural and if so why did you go natural?
Yes I'm natural. I've been natural my whole life until i went to high school and people started making fun of it and I begged my mom for a perm and she did it. I will never forget that burn and that creme crack box lol 2 months later I really wanted my hair back. So I did my big chop, 4 years later I have my pretty fro . 



4 words to describe your mane.
I think you mean name? Lol well my name is really cute. So I can say cute,  pretty, outgoing and very sweet. I dont know those things come to mind when seeing my name. My mom named me after my doctor but we could talk about that later lol. 
(I meant mane but it was all good) lol

Give us a lil bit about your hair regimen.
4 hours of exhaustion lol. I shampoo my hair with Kinky Curly products. I then use a cheap conditioner while its wet to detangle my hair (i use my hands) then i use a wide tooth comb to detangle it. I detangle by sections, then after i detangle each section then i wash out the cheap conditioner which is like 89 cents (v02). Then i apply the conditioner that i really want to use which is a queen Nefertiti brand that can found in harlem,ny. Wash it out , use the towel to drain the excess water. I  then put my moisturizer i want which is ( vitamin e oil, coconut oil, tea tree oil, olive oil and Kinky Curly Knot Today conditioner and a little water) . My hair is wet during this whole process. I start bantu knoting everything to finalize and bam!!



How has your natural hair been received in your line of work? 
Some look at me weird and others love it. Its something not everyone likes but i get a lot of love though.

5 things you're loving at the moment.
God, My Church, My Career, My boyfriend & My NW40 concealer by M.A.C

One of Susy's work (fake dreads)


Candidly speaking.. 
Live your life like its the last, don't let anyone tell you what to become in life. I always say "don't ever let anyone destine your own destiny". Do what makes you happy and make sure your ambition is as strong as your work. Hard work really pays off, I put God first and everything falls into place for me :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment