Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Candidly Speaking

Had the pleasure of interviewing mastermind behind the visually stimulating That GOOD GOOD Blog
Enjoy =)


Tell us a little about yourself.
Hello world! My name is Dami Oyelola. I am a 20 year old girl from Nigeria, currently residing in peaceful Pennsylvania. I attend Penn State University where I am a third year student studying Food Science. I love Christ, people, hip-hop, vintage clothes, poetry, and apple pie.



When & why did you decide to start blogging?
I started blogging a little over a year ago (July 14, 2010). The reason I started this blog is because I had been seriously longing for a creative outlet at that point in my life. I've always loved writing and I have a strong affinity for fashion, music, and art. I realized that a blog would be a great way to combine all of these interests. Being completely new to blogging, I didn't have any major plans or goals for the blog; it was purely just going to be something for me to do during the summer in my free time. Now, as I think about how far the blog has come between then and now, I am beyond speechless.  I never, ever, ever, EVER thought that so many people would be interested in the things I have to say! I find it terrifying, to be honest. But when that fear settles, all that is left is excitement and hope. I'm excited because I can't wait to see where this blog is going to take me & I'm hopeful because I know that there is a good reason I have been given this unique opportunity to share my interests and the people/things that inspire me with other people.

How has your blog affected you?
It's amazing because I have been asking myself this question a lot lately. I find that the periods in which I am not able to blog, I get a little sad. I didn't realize how big of stress reliever blogging is for me, it truly is therapeutic. Especially when my schoolwork is becoming too much, it's so nice to have something to take my mind off of organic chemistry and agribusiness management every once in a while. Also, my blog has really giving me a renewed sense of conviction in my opinions. I've always been a bit quirky and into things that not too many other people were into (specifically music) and I would get some flack from my sisters and some of my friends about it. However, knowing now that there are over a thousand people around the world who share the same interests as me is liberating. Also, being able to put hundreds of people onto things they didn't know about is awesome as well.


What do you hope to achieve with your blog?
The main thing I wish to achieve with my blog is to inspire other people to chase their dreams, whatever those dreams may be. Like I always say, our generation is full of really determined individuals who refuse to wait to chase their dreams. So many people my age already have established businesses and are indulging themselves in their crafts. It's so inspiring and I want my blog to serve as a resource for such.


So let's talk about hair.. are you natural and if so why did you go natural?
YES! I have been natural since I was in the 7th grade (13 years old). In all honesty. I went natural because my hair was badly broken from perms. However, I have remained natural for so long because I am truly in love with my curls, kinks, and coils.


4 words to describe your mane.
thick, unpredictable, beautiful, & mine :)


5 things you're loving at the moment.
1. film photography
2. vinyl records
3. cherry red Dr. Martens
4. really, really, really big knit scarves
5. cocoa butter chapstick (my favorite thing in the world)


Candidly speaking.. (anything else you would like to add.. quote, mantra you live by etc)
"Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you." -Marianne Williamson, "Our Deepest Fear"

No comments:

Post a Comment